How hard can it be to replace a fuel pump relay on a 1982 W 107 Mercedes 380 SL?

Posted by Fresh Auto for Your

Well, it can be harder than you think! Fuel problem at mid-week, with car dying, but then starting up right away. Diagnosis: fuel pump relay, a common culprit on these cars at this stage of their lives.  OK, so first thing I did was check Rockauto for the part -- they usually are the cheapest around.  Oh, oh, found that there are two possibilities one relay with 4 pins and another with 6 pins.  And I just so happen to have a six pin around, one that I found lying on the floorboard of a 380 SL in the pick and pull located in Chula Vista a while back.
So maybe I'll get a away Scot- free, I was thinking. But now I have to find the damn thing on my car.  Some internet sources say in the cowl behind the glove box; other sources say in the right kick panel where the fuse box is.  First I go behind the fuse box -- as it turns out way back, to where I can barely.  And there are three boxes there.  The likely one -- a box that have 5300/min and kickdown (mentioned in one online post) -- but that has 7 pins! Next go to right kick panel, and remove it because most of the fuses are not accessible any other way. I know that is where they put the relay in a 1979 450 SL, but not to be found on mine.
Finally, I find the 7 pin relay correctly illustrated at Pelican Parts.  What an ordeal! And getting to it requires great eyes, small hands, and flexible joints.




Related Post



Post a Comment